Saturday, November 19, 2016

Week 8

Hello everyone, so this week I got into the lab and discovered that one of my DNA samples mysteriously disappeared. I had only gotten around to testing four out of the six methods that were given to us, and so with one missing, that put me at half but I decided to test the ones I had anyways. When I tested my samples, I discovered that only one of my samples was a decent sample. I think that the reason they were less than desirable was because I extracted DNA from a sample that was almost 5 days old, and they say that a young culture works best. So, I decided it was time to start all over and extract from fresh samples. So this time, I got through four samples again in a couple hours, and also doubled the extractions for each protocol, so I have a total of 8 samples to test. I plan on doing the other two samples on Monday when I get back. I also learned how to make a gel and run the nanodrop and electrophoresis.  Hopefully I won't be sick anymore by then. Trying to be optimistic even though time is running out. We will see how far I can get caught up this weekend.Below are some photos of the gel electrophoresis during set up.


  1. I find it extremely weird that it just disappeared. Wish we had cameras. Looks like you are catching up in everything and good choice that you redid everything twice. Keep up the great work.

  2. The case of the missing tubes. This happens to all of us unfortunately. Good luck this week though with your gels! I look forward to seeing them.