Thursday, October 13, 2016

Week 3 Post

Hello everyone. So this week I spent most of my time working on my unknown bacterial identification project. Trying to keep thorough notes throughout the process has been a not so fun, but necessary challenge. I observed and recorded my bacterial colony morphology, performed a gram stain, and looked at my bacteria under the microscope to describe and record the cell morphology. Then according to the dichotomous key, I did an oxidase test, glucose fermentation, and a SIM test.  I have officially identified my bacteria to be E. Coli. I also helped Luis get caught up and showed him how to do a streak plate and explained the process of gram staining since he has never taken microbiology. So it was nice to make a new friend in the process and be able to help someone else out. Below are images of my glucose fermentation results as well as my SIM test after 24 hours of incubation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment